Getting Inspired about Injury Prevention with Dr. David Hemenway: this presentation about why the work we do in injury and violence prevention is important, relevant, and exciting is here whenever you need a lift! Available now for 1.5 CEU credits by going to this link.
Speaker, Dr. David Hemenway, is a Professor of Health Policy at the Harvard School of Public Health, and author of the book, While We Were Sleeping: Success Stories in Injury and Violence Prevention. He outlined how the public health science behind injury prevention has enabled our field to accomplish great things in the past, and helps us understand the possibilities for the future. This important presentation will help ground your work in a broader context, and help you understand the wider field of injury prevention.
Implementing Project Lazarus in North Carolina, a Two-Part Webinar Series: The purpose of these two 90 minute webinars (May 11, 2-3:30 PM ET and June 29, 2015, 2-3:30 PM ET) is to illustrate key issues and challenges related to the implementation of Project Lazarus as a model prescription drug overdose prevention program by highlighting major lessons learned in both the hub activities (the components of the Project Lazarus model that reflect a community-based, bottom-up public health approach) and in the spoke activities (the components that reflect a medical and law enforcement-based, top-down public health approach).
Part 1: Lessons Learned From the Hub Components of the Project Lazarus Model. Archived recording available here.
Part 2: The Medical/Law Enforcement-Based (“Top-Down”) Components of Project Lazarus, a community-based overdose prevention program. Archive available here.
Preparing for Core Funding Webinar Series:
- Overview of the Core Program: Getting Familiar with the Basics 9/24/14 by Amber Williams (Safe States) and Angela Marr (CDC).
- Building Capacity Before you Have Funding 12/3/14 This webinar featured a panel of state representatives from across the country who spoke about their experiences with building an injury program before having Core funding.
- Epidemiology and Surveillance Capacity 1/24/15 CDC and state representatives from across the country discussed their experiences with establishing and maintaining epidemiology and surveillance capacity within a state injury prevention program. Review this list of epi-related resources available online from Safe States to locate information mentioned during the webinar.
- State Plans and Injury Community Planning Groups 3/25/15this webinar discusses creating state plans and setting up groups to help carry those plans out.
- Evaluation for Impact 5/27/15 The final webinar in the series addresses evaluation requirements for Core grantees and offers an example of an evaluation plan from Colorado’s injury prevention program.
- 2/25/14 Communicating about Injury and Violence Prevention Webinar # 4: Using Framing to Improve Program Effectiveness in Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention with Lynn Davey (Davey Strategies) and Andrew Leone (Assistant Director of Communication and Outreach for the Children’s Services Council of Broward County, Florida) Access the archived webinar recording here and slide set here.
- 7/23/14 Communicating about Injury and Violence Prevention #1: Risk Communication in a New Light by Dr. Deborah Girasek.Listen to the audio recording, view the slide set, and reviewmeeting minutes.
- 5/25/14 Partner Highlight Webinar: the North Carolina Injury and Violence Prevention Branch Current Activities and a Historical Perspective presented by Alan Dellapenna. Slide presentation and audio recording. Meeting minutes.
- 5/28/14 Partner Highlight Webinar: The New Mexico Office of Injury Prevention Program by Robin Swift: Injury in New Mexico: from Epidemiology to Action. Slide Presentation and Audio recording. Meeting Minutes. This webinar featured information about New Mexico’s epidemiology work, substance abuse prevention, and work with sovereign nations in the state.
- 4/23/14 Innovations in Injury and Violence Prevention: Planning for Suicide Prevention. Presenters Adam Chu, Melissa Heinen and Robert Letourneau discussed planning strategies for state and local organizations interested in comprehensively addressing suicide prevention in their community. The presenters offered:
- The basic elements of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention and other national resources for suicide prevention planning
- Two approaches to creating state plans for suicide prevention
- Tools for gaining input from partners and creating buy-in
- The annual in-person S2SW meeting. Click here for minutes and presentations from the meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas March 16-18.
- 1/22/14 Innovations in Injury and Violence Prevention: Online Communication Approaches for Suicide Prevention, the second in the Network’s series on suicide prevention. Presenter Mike Newton-Ward, the social media consultant for the NC Department of Health and Human Services provides a brief tutorial on the basics of health communications, and Jarrod Hindman, the Suicide Prevention Unit Manager, of Injury, Suicide and Violence Prevention within the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment gave an overview of the website mantherapy.org, a website dedicated to preventing suicide in men.
- 10/23/13 Innovations in Injury and Violence Prevention:The Basics of Suicide Prevention and How to Get Started by Smita Varia (The National Suicide Prevention Resource Center), Richard Burleson, and Brandi Pouncey (Alabama Department of Health). Slide presentation and Audio Recording and Meeting Minutes.
- Two suicide prevention posters were shared by the Alabama Department of Health–they can be used for inspiration for your own materials!
- 9/25/13 Partner Highlight Webinar: Florida Department of Health Injury Prevention Program by Lisa VanderWerf-Hourigan. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording. Meeting Minutes.
- Florida Pool Safety Video: Keep your kids safe this summer–and every summer–in and around the pool!
- 8/28/13 Innovations in Injury and Violence Prevention:Integrating Falls Prevention into Healthcare Systems. Introduction and context was presented by Ellen Schneider of UNC Chapel Hill. The presentation on work to integrate falls into healthcare systems was given by Lisa Shields, David Dowler, and Lisa Millet of the Oregon Health Authority.Slide Presentation and Audio Recording. Schneider Slides without Audio. Oregon Health Authority Slides without Audio. Meeting Minutes.
- Resource from the Call: Oregon’s Matrix of Balance Classes comparing Tai Chi Moving for Better Balance, Stepping On, Otago, and Matter of Balance.
- 3/17/13 – 3/19/13 Annual Meeting: the network held its annual meeting in Chapel Hill, NC. Click here for resources and other information from the meeting.
- 2/27/13 Policy Webinar: Policy Research and Evaluation by Carol W. Runyan, MPH, PhD and Gregory Tung, MPH, PhD.Slide Presentation and Audio Recording. Slide Presentation without Audio. Meeting Minutes.
- 1/23/13 Partner Highlight Webinar: The Emory University Center for Injury Control presents Vision and Priorities for Strengthening the Bridge Between Science and Practice and Reducing Violence and Injuries in Vulnerable Populations by Shakiyla Smith, MPH. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.Slide Presentation without Audio. Meeting Minutes.
December 2012 No call this month–happy holidays
- 10/18/12 Evidence-Based Practice Webinar Series in Partnership with the Safe States Alliance, Part III: When Your Program Lacks an Evidence Base. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.
- 10/24/12 Partner Highlight Webinar: The Dallas Safe Communities Experience by Shelli Stephens-Stidham. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording. Meeting Minutes.
- 9/20/12 Evidence-Based Practice Webinar Series in Partnership with the Safe States Alliance, Part II:Implementing Evidence-Based Programs by Lindsey Myers, MPH. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.
- 8/22/12 Partner Highlight Webinar: Featuring the Children’s Safety Network.Slide Presentation and Audio Recording. Meeting Minutes.
- 8/8/2012 Evidence-Based Practice Webinar Series in Partnership with the Safe States Alliance, Part I: Finding the Evidence by Paula Yuma, MPH, CHES, and moderated by Dr. Carol Runyan. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.
- 7/25/12 Policy Webinar: Child Passenger Safety Policy Successes from Georgia by Lisa Dawson, Carol Ball, and Jamila Pope. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.
- 6/27/12 Partner Highlight Webinar: Kentucky Injury Prevention Research Center. Meeting Minutes.
- 5/2/12 & 5/3/12 In-Person Meeting: At the Safe States Alliance/CDC Joint Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA. Agenda.
- 4/25/12 Policy Webinar: Injury Prevention Policy 101 Presentation by Mariana Garrettson of UNC Injury Prevention Research Center. Slide Presentation and Audio Recording.
- 3/15/12 & 3/16/12 In-Person Meeting: Decatur, GA. Meeting agenda, minutes (with work group descriptions), Network Needs Assessment and the CDCs presentation.
- 2/22/12 Updates Webinar: Administration and Planning. Slide Presentation without Audio. Meeting minutes.
- 1/4/12 Drowning Prevention Community of Practice Webinar: Florida Drowning Prevention. Slide Presentation with Audio.
- No call/meeting
- 11/16/11 Drowning Prevention Community of Practice Webinar: Dr. Julie Gilchrist on Drowning Prevention. Slide Presentation with Audio.
- 10/20/11 Updates Webinar: Administration and Planning.Slide Presentation without Audio.
- No call/meeting
- 8/18/11 Updates Webinar: Administration and Planning.Minutes.
- 7/21/11 Drowning Prevention Community of Practice Webinar: Policy Strategies to Prevent Open Water Drowning in Washington State. Slide Presentation with Audio Recording.
- No call/meeting
5/19/11 Drowning Prevention Community of Practice Webinar: Kids Don’t Float – A Drowning Prevention Program.Slide Presentation with Audio Recording.